“To get rich, you have to be making money while you’re asleep” –David Bailey
Making money online has always been the desire of every digital marketer. Regardless of the amount earned, it makes you feel great. You after begin to scale up, looking for more lucrative and reliable ways to even make more money. Unfortunately, this great desire does not get materialized for everyone because most people do not follow the right guide and therefore become frustrated and give up.
“KDP” stands for “Kindle Direct Publishing”, and it’s Amazon’s self-publishing platform, where you can create either a high content book, like an e-book for Kindle or paperback books. Amazon KDP is now the biggest and most reliable platform to earn money on the internet. In my opinion, and from the perspective of several other people publishing low content books on the KDP platform is the best way to make some good money online. This is, by far, the most legit, underutilized, long term and profitable way to make money on the internet. It is indeed one of the most reliable and easiest ways to make some good cash online.
All you have to do is to join the platform and upload your books and see the money coming in. In fact, making money by publishing books is one of the best ways to live your passive income dream. This is a great opportunity to be making money whilst you are asleep or on holiday.
There are two sides to every book, the interior, or what is traditionally termed the content of the book, and the book cover, or the exterior part of the book.
You can either create, outsource or buy any of these components on the internet and upload them onto the KDP platform, perfectly accepted. You can also outsource these components to whomever you think has the skill and the expertise to work on it for you, this is also well accepted. You can also buy this premade interiors, and the covers on the internet, from places like creative fabrica. This is the favorite of most top sellers.
After that, all that is required is for you to upload these books using your own created account. This is perfectly acceptable. There is no crime or sin here. You do not have to be a graphic designer, or writer nor have any related prior experience to start this lifetime business opportunity.
REASONS TO QUICKLY JUMP INTO THIS BUSINESS
- Your product doesn’t perish or your stock runs out as this is a digital product.
- No need to worry over shipments, as Amazon does all for you, including printing the books out.
- Nothing like paying money to register nor any further cost involved
- You don’t worry about the marketing aspect Amazon does that
- You enjoy royalties from a giant company in a foreign currency
- Highly profitable: Since they require low effort to make, it’s always a bargain. You don’t have to spend months in front of a PC or keep on writing.
- You do not have to be a graphic designer to create these kinds of books and no previous required
- Publishing is also easy because there are only a few pages to print.
KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THIS
“Content builds relationships. Relationships are built on trust. Trust drives revenue.”Andrew Davis
No Content Books & Low Content Books
No content books are books with little to NO content. You must be surprised. How on earth can someone make money selling books with zero content. Yes, the truth is that many people are selling these kinds of books on Amazon for money. The interiors of these books, as said earlier, are blank, have absolutely nothing in them, or with minimal content only.
- Blank Journal
- Blank Books
- Sketch books
- Primary story journals
- Blank comic books
- Handwriting books
- Handwriting Books
- Graph paper
- Log books
Low Content Books
Low-content books on the other hand are paperback books that contain little to no text or images but are designed to provide the reader or user with guided content.
- Quote books
- Coloring books
- Guest books
- Recipe books
- Password books
- Address books
- Inspirational quotes
- Daily planners etc
Start this business with the understanding, that this is a real business and never a quick money scheme. You can earn on this platform for the rest of your entire life.
ALL ABOUT KDP BOOK OVER
Go to KDP cover templates and download the right trim size of the book you want to create the cover for. Save this at a place on your PC where you can quickly get it.
To design any book cover, you must know these (3) things;
- The trim size
- The page count
Remember that your file type must be a single PDF file. This cover must include the back cover, spine, and front cover as one image. The total size of this book cover must not be larger than 650 MB. KDP recommends a file size of 40MB or less because large files can slow down printing.
Setting your cover size
Your cover needs to be sized with bleed in order to meet KDP quality standards. Bleed is a printing term that refers to when printed items on a page, such as images or backgrounds, reach all the way to the edge of the page. To size your cover file with bleed, add 0.125″ (3.2 mm) to the top, bottom, and outside edges of your cover. Always remember that the page count must be an even number, e.g 100, 110, 112, 120, 124 etc
The KDP templates make it easier to create a print-ready paperback cover with programs that can open a PNG or PDF file and save a PDF file. As said earlier go to cover calculator and template generator and then enter your ink and paper choices, trim size, and page count, the calculator will generate a layout like this:
Full cover. Total width and height of the cover file, including front, back, spine, and wrap.
- Front cover. Width and height of the visible cover area after it’s printed. It’s the same for the back cover too.
- Safe area. Place all text and images within this area, so they don’t shift to the front or back cover during printing.
- Bleed. Setting your bleed properly ensures printed objects reach all the way to the edge of the page. Accounting for bleed is important because it prevents a white border from appearing at the edge of the page when the book is trimmed.
- Margin. Don’t place text or images in this area, unless they’re intended to wrap to the inside cover.
- Spine. The outside edge of the book is where the pages are gathered and bound. Your book must have a minimum page count of 79 pages to include text on the spine.
- Spine safe area. Place all spine text and images within this area, so they don’t shift to the front or back cover during printing.
- Spine margin. Don’t place text or images in this spine area because they could shift to the front or back cover during printing.
- Barcode margin. This area ensures that the barcode doesn’t shift during printing and scans properly.
Note: For Right to Left content, the cover calculator and template generator will generate a layout with the front cover placed to the left of the spine and the back cover to the right of the spine. The barcode will be placed at the lower left-hand corner of your book’s back cover.
You can also go to Bookow and use their KDP calculator to calculate spine width and the total width and height of the print cover for KDP.
Note: The full width and height calculated here include the spine and bleed. Your cover PDF must be the exact size as given by this calculator, and your background colour and/or images must go all the way to the edges.
To format your paperback cover, you’ll first need to calculate the spine measurements. The bleed is always 0.125 on all sides. The spine size is always provided and depends on the trim size.
Insert requirements into the following equations to find your cover size: See below
Cover Width = Bleed + Back Cover Width + Spine Width + Front Cover Width + Bleed
Cover Height = Bleed + Trim Height + Bleed
Formatting your cover background
Bleed. All covers have bleed. If you want to add a background (e.g. color or image), make sure it extends 0.125″ (3.2 mm) beyond the final trim line on all outside edges. All books are trimmed to size, and to ensure that the background fills the page, it needs to extend 0.125″ (3.2 mm) past where the book will be trimmed on the top, bottom, and outside edges. This will prevent a white border from appearing at the edge when your book is trimmed.
- Illegible text. When choosing a background, consider how much it contrasts with the text. If the colors are too similar, the text might blend into the background and be hard to read.
- Borders. We don’t recommend borders because we must allow for a 0.125″ (3.2 mm) production variance that may trim the border or cause it to appear uneven. If your file includes borders, they should cover at least 0.25″ (6.4 mm) inside the trim line. If you include a white border, it must meet our minimum border width or we may reject your file.
Don’t ever forget, Amazon is the largest e-commerce store on the face of the planet, controlling more than 85% of the eBook market and 65% of the print book business. The simple explanation for this is that millions of customers shop on Amazon every day globally. You are therefore certain of making sales on this platform if you get things right from the start.
On the KDP platform, you upload your books to Amazon for free, sell them on their marketplace, and collect royalty from the sales. Amazon Kindle publishing platform allows you to publish your books, and you don’t need to pay for anything. No need to print the books, and you don’t have to market it to third parties. Amazon does this on your behalf.
STEP BY STEP TO DESIGNING KDP BOOK COVERS
As said earlier, you can get your KDP interiors from creative fabrica and just prepare your book cover and upload it to KDP. This is the whole concept of Amazon KDP. Let’s begin our design;
There are several ways to follow in designing KDP books. For the purposes of this article, I will show you how to use canva to design your book cover.
- Use Canva
- Use GIMP
- Use Powerpoint
HOW TO USE CANVA TO DESIGN YOUR BOOK COVER
Before you start your design process, it is important to know the size of your book cover. You can get the book dimensions in several ways;
- Go to bookow.com and get the right book dimension. See below;
7 finding your book dimensions with Bookow
- You can also right-click on the book template and choose properties and details if you are on a PC. This will also provide you with information about the book size/dimensions.
- Having gotten the accurate book dimensions, now go to canva.com
- Go to canva.com
- Click on create new design as shown below.
- Put in the right book dimensions, as shown below;
After putting in your dimensions, you should have a canvas-like below, ready to start your design.
Now upload your KDP template into the canvas like this;
From here, just unlock it and delete the KDP template you uploaded as the guide. Go to file and download this file as PDF print as your KDP cover.
Your final project should look like what you see below;
Go to Amazon KDP and upload your book interior and cover
Do not forget to visit my store on creative fabrica